Scrumban is an Agile management approach describing mixtures of Scrum and Kanban and was initially considered as a way to change from Scrum to Kanban. Scrumban developed to meet the needs of teams to reduce the batching of work and adopt a pull-based system. As the Kanban technique was becoming more common, Scrumban was created as an attempt to make it easier for current Scrum teams to begin exploring Lean and Kanban concepts. It can also be used as an initial step for teams looking to move from Scrum to Kanban.
What is Scrum
- Organization are organized into small, cross-functional and self-organizing teams.
- The work is decomposed into a list of small, concrete deliverables.
- The list is prioritized and the relative effort of each item is estimated.
- Short fixed-length development (usually 1–4 weeks), with possibly shippable code demonstrated after each development.
- The development process is optimized by having a retrospective after each development.
What is Kanban
- Envisions the workflow
- Allocate clear limits as to how many items may be in development at each workflow level
- Measure the lead time, and improve the process to make lead time as small and predictable as possible.
- Benefits of Scrumban
In Scrumban, we can do iteration planning at regular intervals, synchronized with review and retrospective, but the goal of planning is to fill the slots available – not fill all of the slots, and certainly not determine the number of slots. This greatly reduces the overhead and ceremony of iteration planning.
Scrumban is a great solution for teams who need the structure of Scrum with the flexibility of a flow-based method, or for teams who are looking to transition from Scrum to Kanban. Many teams use Scrumban as a transition point between a less mature and more mature Agile practice.
We have developed our Scrumban consulting on the trust that, any business can implement and be improved through these frameworks. We work with you to create a standard for your business and your teams. At the same time, we work to identify your goals so we can establish specific, quantifiable milestones and create a tailored plan for your business. There is no such solution designed which can be used by all businesses. We tailor our solutions to your organization’s strengths. Our Scrumban consulting provides a unique solution for your needs.
We can work with separate teams in your organization, providing hands-on, on-site consulting and training, or we can work with your entire organization on an agile transformation. We have experience in small teams and large organizations and can help you bridge the gap between team implementations and organizational transformations.